Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Someone to Lean On

Caring for a child who is diabetic is just like having diabetes yourself. As the parent or guardian, the burden of managing his or her illness rests on your shoulders. In my case, the responsibility of teaching Joani how to control her condition thru proper diabetes management is a 24/7 affair. Being just a child, I cannot expect her to be as diligent and attentive to her health needs as she ought to be. However, even at her young age, Joani has shown remarkable maturity in handling herself well despite the restrictions posed by juvenile diabetes. 



I could never be more proud of my little angel. Thus, I have promised to stay strong for her through thick and thin. Even if she gets old enough to be left on her own, as her guardian, and in fulfillment of my promise to Anita, I would always back her up to ensure that she steers clear of any complications that could arise from diabetes. Valiant as this may appear, I know that taking on the hurdle of managing diabetes for life is far from easy, even if I am not the one directly affected by it.

For Joani to stay strong, she would need the support of her loved ones, especially mine. But being a flawed, fragile human being like every one else, I am afraid that time will come and my strength of heart and mind would wane, or worse fail (I do hope not.). Though inevitable, this is an option I can never take or allow to happen. Thus, I resolved to nurture my own will power and inner strength by seeking support from friends, loved ones, and diabetes associations online.

These days, provided there is a computer or laptop, the convenience afforded by diabetes virtual communities make seeking support and resource assistance so much easier than before. Browsing through the net, I found five dependable sites offering the kind of support and assistance we can use in our fight against diabetes. Check them out below:
Want more details? Do check out this comprehensive article at http://www.diabetesshield.com/diabetes101.html. The information would sure come in handy when you need to find a good online diabetes association to lean on.

No comments:

Post a Comment