Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Pleasant Tuna Salad Surprise

Taking on a positive mindset has helped me a lot in taking care of Joani. Together, we battle diabetes every single day--and we do so with our heads help up high and a bright smile stretched across our faces. Though serious, diabetes is not enough a reason to deprive Joani of her precious childhood. I would do everything in my power to make sure that she enjoys her youth to the fullest, while diligently overseeing the good management of her condition at all times and at all cost.

I am a warrior on a quest. As soon as her doctor has laid down the facts before us, the first thing I did was get organized. I created a daily log for Joani. From blood sugar testings, doctor visits, down to her meals; I got everything planned out beforehand, listed down, and recorded properly. I approached Joani's diabetes management itinerary as carefully and deliberately as if it were an important work project.

With diabetes, food is an all-important issue never to be missed. I took particular precautions in planning and preparing Joani's meals. I have to admit that readying delicious and nutritious dishes for diabetics daunted me at first. I realized later on, however, that it was not difficult at all. In fact, the kind of recipes I have checked out and tried included nutritious ingredients not only diabetics like Joani can benefit from. As time passed, I became more presumptuous with my methods and experimented with healthy substitutions for the well-loved dishes I am fond of preparing. One of the successful substitution experiment results I've had is this Tuna Kani Salad recipe.

Hearty, nutritious, and oh-so-satisfying to the tastebuds; never a week goes by that Joani does not request this for lunch, at least once. 

Tuna Kani Salad 
*1 cup canned tuna in water--drained, flaked and set aside
*5 sticks kani(imitation crabmeat or crabsticks)--sliced and flaked
*hard boiled egg white--chopped 
*1 cup reduced-fat light mayonnaise
*1 medium sized cucumber--washed well and chopped with skin intact 
*a pinch of salt
*a dash of white pepper


Toppings: shredded carrots, onion rings, lettuce leaves, and tomato slices                                                                                                       
To prepare, all you have to do is mix the first seven ingredients in a bowl. Then, you can start assembling your sandwich using 2-3 slices of wheat bread with the sides trimmed off. Spread 1 tablespoon of filling on one side of a slice of bread. Arrange toppings on top, and cover with other bread slice. Store the rest of the filling in a jar or sturdy plastic bowl container. It can be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment