Friday, August 26, 2011

Recipe Tweaking Tips


At first I thought making meals for Joani was hard. Diabetes is such a big daunting word that it seems like too much work was needed in order to ensure that meals prepared for diabetics neither raise nor lower blood sugar levels. I remember spending almost one whole night just studying different researched recipes and comparing them to see how I can tweak them to accommodate Joani's personal food preference and condition.
It turns out that it really is not as difficult as I first thought it to be. Here are two of the details of the info I got online:
  • Scrap the potatoes for good.
Well, they didn't really say omit it totally. However, because spuds are generally known to have a high GI despite the variation according to the specific type(some types have low GI they say), it is best to just skip them altogether. Besides, I do not really have the luxury of time to go out of my way to hunt down specific types of spuds if they are not available at the nearby grocery.

Sadly, Joani likes them. But for her health's sake, I really do not have much of a choice. Good thing there are other foods and veggies she enjoys that are low GI, which I can cook or use as substitutes in place of potatoes for her favorite dishes.
  • Choose fat wisely.
Hydrogenated oils and trans fats are not good for diabetics(even non-diabetics actually). Studies say that they can promote the development of type 2 diabetes if consumed regularly or in large amounts. Trans fats are common among purchased baked goods. To keep Joani safe from health troubles, I opted to just do the baking myself, so I do not have to worry if her fave cupcake, which I usually just get from the grocery, has trans fat or not. For oils, I stick to suggested healthy ones like olive, canola, and corn for cooking and making salad dressings.

More to come in my next post. Do watch out for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment